Almost every mother who wishes to capture the first days of life of their new baby asks the same question: should I pick an in studio newborn session or an at home lifestyle newborn session? In order to help you, here is a recap of the advantages and disadvantages of both newborn sessions to help you decide which one best suits your needs.
In studio newborn session
An in studio newborn session takes place at the photographer’s studio 3 to 15 days following birth. Consequently, you have to travel to the photographer’s work place to get the photos done. Most of the time, the majority of the photos will be of the baby by himself/herself. He/she will be posed on a beanbag, on fake furs, in baskets or any other safe and appropriate prop. Moreover, your little one will be placed in non-natural positions (but always done safely!) while he/she is sleeping. For instance, they can be wrapped with their legs crossed or placed on their belly with their hands tucked under their head. Most photographers will dress them in special little pants, rompers, hats and headbands created specifically for newborn sessions.
Since the photographer will take care of the baby for a big part of the session, it’s the perfect occasion to relax a little! You can bring a movie, a book, magazines or even your pillow to nap 😉
Of course, it’s possible to do a few photos including parents and siblings if you want to! However, poses and concepts might be limited depending on the photographer’s studio size.
- Your baby will be photographed in adorable positions you couldn’t achieve by yourself,
- You can use the various props and set-ups the photographer offers,
- Well lit studio with ideal conditions,
- It’s one of the first occasions to relax after giving birth.
- Limited time window (the session has to take place before baby is 15 days old!),
- You need to travel to the studio,
- It isn’t recommended if you want various photos including the whole family.
Here are a few examples of in studio newborn sessions:
At home lifestyle newborn session
The at home lifestyle newborn session takes place at your home in the month following birth. The photographer will travel to your house to do the photos. Since no prop is used and because the baby will be posed in natural positions only, his/her age doesn’t matter as much. However, it is still recommended to do the session before the baby is two weeks old so you can have reminders before the first growth spurs occur!
The photos will take place in your environment, such as the master’s bedroom, baby room, living room, etc. We will mostly focus on photos where family members interact together. For instance, mommy and daddy cuddling the baby or the siblings giving him/her kisses. Furthermore, you can invite grandparents if you wish to have memories with them as well.
Since we will work in several rooms of your house, it is recommended to clean up before the photographer’s arrival so we don’t see the mess in the photos, which can be difficult to do after welcoming your newest family member.
- Larger time window (you have until four weeks after birth),
- Photos including the whole family (possibility to include the extended family as well!),
- The photographer travels to your home.
- No posed photos of the baby,
- No prop or studio material used,
- Photos are only possible in well lit rooms of your house,
- Highly recommended to clean up your house before the session.
Here are a few examples of at home lifestyle newborn sessions:
No matter which decision you take, one thing is certain: both of these newborn sessions will leave you with wonderful souvenirs of your new baby!
Would you like to book a session like this? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to do so!
Lisa-Marie Savard est une photographe lifestyle basée à Montréal et ses environs. Voyage offert ailleurs au Québec ou Canada. | Lisa-Marie Savard is a lifestyle photographer based in Montreal and its surroundings. Travel available elsewhere in Quebec or Canada.